Saturday, March 7, 2009

Raptors sign Pops Mensah-Bonsu


GB star Pops Mensah-Bonsu(2.06-PF) was yesterday cut by the San Antonio Spurs ... and walked straight into a better deal with one of their NBA rivals. The 6'9" Londoner is expected to sign with the Toronto Raptors for the remainder of the NBA campaign after the Spurs ended his short-term contract after less than a week.

Mensah-Bonsu, who had shown brilliant form in the NBA's Development or reserve league, also fielded an offer from the Oklahoma City Thunder. 

Mensah-Bonsu said: "It was a toss-up. I think there might be more minutes at my position with the Raptors and they wanted me even before I came to San Antonio. So I decided I'm going to Toronto. I had a couple of great options. I hoped San Antonio would be a good fit but I understand the business side of the game."

Mensah-Bonsu is a key member of the GB team that will play in the European Championship Finals for the first time in Poland this September.

0 comments: